"There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good."
Above: Me and Khalil are in the middle, pretending to be mobsters in NYC on New Year's 2006
I talked to my mom the other day and she said she was picking out songs for grandma and grandpa's 50th party. The song I picked is called the "Cupid Shuffle." I learned the shuffle the first time when I was visiting Khalil, Mackey, and Farrah over the summer in Detroit. It's a pretty popular dance back on the eastside of Michigan and I figured I'd bring it to the 50th celebration. I didn't know mom's side of the family enjoyed dancing so much (must be where I get it from), and I think you all will really love this dance. It's really easy to learn and I think it'd be great if people practiced a bit before we got together and then we could all dance together. I'm really excited for everyone to try it. Please let me know how the practice sessions go!
How to do the Cupid Shuffle (everything is on a four count beat so it's super easy ~ everyone young and old could really boogie to it):
Four steps right
Four steps left
Four kicks to the front (beginning with the right, then alternating)
Then "walk it out" for 1/4 turn
Here is a video on
YouTube where the dancers are doing it to the song... good to practice to (like I totally know Jen and Jo will do) before we all get together and can have fun with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExC1oGN5J28&feature=related*** On a more serious note, I'm happy people enjoyed the sketches. I wanted to make them as elementary as possible because I'm not a skilled painter... yet. The more cartoonie the better! I'll be sure to post more pics as soon as I paint them. I'm glad Joelle enjoyed our phone call the other day. I've grown up without having much contact with my cousins, something I really wish would have been different. Many of my friends have family that lives much closer to them and their cousins are their best friends. I'm not bitter... I just have learned to appreciate the times that I'm able to talk with family and welcome all phone calls, preferably after 7pm Pacific Time so my phone bill isn't outrageous. I want all my family who's reading this to know that I love you all very much and appreciate your continued interest in and support of my dreams. I would like to dedicate the following quote by David Copperfield to my family, young and old alike: "I learned that there were two ways I could live my life: following my dreams or doing something else. Dreams aren't a matter of chance, but a matter of choice. When I dream, I believe I am rehearsing my future." I hope you all follow your dreams. It's never too late to start pursuing them!
No comments:
Post a Comment