CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

.::Pretend like it's the Weekend::.

"Can't you see that its just raining? Ain't no need to go outside... but Baby, you hardly even notice when I try to show you this song is meant to keep ya from doing what your supposed to, like waking up too early. Maybe we can sleep in. I'll make you banana pancakes; pretend like its the weekend now. We could pretend it all the time..."

~Jack Johnson, Banana Pancakes ~

Friday, June 6, 2008

Superpod!

"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover will be yourself."
~ Alan Alda ~
My past few whale encounters have been amazing, especially our June 3 trip! I saw my first superpod, which is when Js, Ks, and Ls all get together and hang out. It was so incredible to see so many animals swimming together. Everywhere I looked there were orcas! The sea was basically exploding with them. I can't really contain my excitement when I'm around the whales, it really reaffirms that I'm doing the right thing and I'm in the right place. There was even a new baby in the group, K42, who appears to belong to K14. The baby is so cute, little, and orange. haha. All baby orcas are orangeish yellow, which is believed to be like jaundice. (Pretty interesting.) I really love learning more about the orcas and hope to one day do some sort of marine research trip. It's really hard to figure out what I want because I love this type of work, the lifestyle is the only thing keeping me from doing something with the whales as a career. Many of the researchers I've met have a transient lifestyle and really don't spend too much time in one place. I like feeling grounded and having a place to call mine, but it'd be pretty incredible to travel the world learning about marine life. I'm a bit torn, but I still feel like becoming an attorney is my calling. However, I'm realizing now that maybe these animals could eventually become more than a hobby to me. I would like to help the researchers here if possible. I really want to see them from a research perspective as opposed to the tourist perspective. I like my job, but I want to learn more about them so I can be better equipped to teach people about them. I really don't care what they would have me do, as long as I can be a part of it! (Even if that means just hanging out at a computer and identifying individuals. I'm gonna work on possibly helping with research and I'll keep you posted with how that goes.

Our whole crew is here now: me, Jaclyn, Jackie, Ashley, and Sarah. I think we all compliment each other well and I look forward to making friends with similar interests as I have. I'm not used to being around people who understand what I'm passionate about and it's a nice change of pace to have people who get excited over the same things.

It won't be long until grandma and grandpa's anniversary and I can't wait to see everyone and meet family I've never seen. I really think I'm learning a lot about myself and look forward to sharing my personal discoveries with everyone! Until next time....

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Awesome pictures!!! Can't wait to see you. Glad you are so happy and enjoying what you are doing.

.::Me & My Fiance::.

.::Me & My Fiance::.
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for.

Let the Countdown Begin!