Word of wisdom on the day: We tend to become the decisions we make. What starts as your decision can eventually become your nature. If you choose a life of unforgiveness you will develop a bitter nature. The more we choose something, the more we become that something. Chew on this a while and let me know what you think.

I’ve been reading more in “Letters from a Skeptic” and I’m truly fascinated by the discussion between the father and son. One of the questions I read on Wednesday was: If God is so caring, why does he create earthquakes and famines when they aren’t the result of “evil” humans? Great question. Is it bad that I often wonder the same thing? When you hear of food riots in Haiti, earthquakes in Los Angeles, hurricanes in New Orleans, tornadoes on the Great Plains, and floods in Bangladesh; it’s difficult not to question, “Where was God?” Any time I watch specials in third world countries I can’t help but ask how God could allow it. The book does an excellent job at discussing these good questions that everyone has asked at one point or another. I totally recommend reading it and letting me know what you think. It’s by Dr. Gregory Boyd if you are looking for it.
Dr. Boyd answers this question with three main points. One of them really stuck out at me because I believe it’s an American problem. He said that many “natural” evils could be prevented if people simply loved their neighbors as themselves. He says:
Imagine how much ‘natural’ evil could be prevented if there were no political
wars, if there were no arms race, if there were an equal distribution of the
world’s resources, if humans who had the means cared enough to invest in the
safety and welfare of others? Take famines, for example. Do you think anyone
would starve if people loved their neighbors as themselves? I’m told by
specialists in the field that there is more than enough food in the world to
feed everyone. It’s just that it’s hoarded by a few who already have more than
they need, at the expense of those who have less than they need. Americans, to
be more specific, make up about 7% of the world’s population, but we consume
over half its resources!
Wow. I’m not taking a jab at America here, but come on people! I
One of his other points is best summed up in another long quote. He talks of how creation is limited, which is basically the whole yin and yang approach to nature. With every positive aspect comes a negative one, depending on the circumstances.
Any created thing must, for example, possess a limited set of characteristics
which rules out the possibility of it possessing other characteristics
incompatible with these. But this can lead to some unfortunate consequences. The
rock which holds you up must also be hard enough for you to stub your toe on it.
The air which you breathe must also be thin enough to allow you to fall through
it when not supported by a hard surface. The water which quenches your thirst
must also be dense enough so you can’t breathe it in, and so on. The
dependability of the world which makes it possible for rational, morally
responsible creatures to live works against us in certain circumstances.
Indeed, every positive feature of any created entity is a potentially negative feature in certain circumstances.
And now on to the best quote so far in the book, “Love must start free – but its goal is to become ‘unfree.’ To be unable not to love is the highest form of freedom in love.’”
I’m really enjoying this book and the food for thought it’s giving me. I really hope you guys decide to read it because I think it’s an awesome way to evaluate your beliefs. A book that forces you to do a little soul searching is, in my opinion, the best kind of book.
I’ve continued my painting. I did two more on Thursday night. Mike isn’t here because he’s working for Beam Reach this weekend, so I needed something to do. We haven’t seen orca
Yesterday we saw a Minke Whale (below). They are the smallest of the baleen whales (about 30ft long) and eat krill. Minkes tend to be shy and this guy was just hanging out around Saturna Island in
Canada. Although I’m sad we haven’t seen orca since last Saturday, it was nice to see the Minke and learn more about another type of whale. I’m still loving my job and it really gives me a “cause” to advocate for (good practice). I probably won’t have a day off until next Thursday so please feel free to call if you’re in the mood to chat. 



4 comments:
good post
I agree with the author about distribution of resources equally, however some people look at that as socialism. Sounds like this book is alot like the book LOVE by Leo Busgalia. He quotes Herbert Otto in the book and here is the quote. "We are all functioning at a small fraction of our capacity to live fully in its total meaning of loving, caring, creating, and adventuring. Consequently, the actualizing of our potential can become the most exciting adventure of our liftime" Sounds to me like you are brginning that exciting adventure. I can see that you have soooo much potential and I think you will actualize on it. Still want you to write a book.
Hey babes! Glad you are enjoying your job and living out there. I'm also glad you are not just watching tv in your down time. I'm glad your reading and "soul searching". It is very important to know what you believe and why. As for the paintings, I think you are doing a good job. I'll take any I can have, I don't really have a favorite. love ya bunches!!!!
Megs,
Love the paintings and I think Joelle would want any of them! Once you finish your book I think you should look into Thomas Malthus. He was an economist and is basically the father of socioeconomic theory. He talks a great deal about the carrying capacity of the planet and the actual constant need for war, famine and other 'natural disasters' as a means to cope with overpopulation. He also discusses why a segment of society will always experience poverty and how the allocation of resources will never be just right. If you take any natural resource science or political science/economic classes you should learn about his theories- he predates Darwin. It sounds like you'd get a lot out of what he said almost 200 years ago- at the time people thought he was nuts.
"The rich, by unfair combinations contribute frequently to prolong a season of distress among the poor" Thomas Malthus
everyome has to realize they have potential and the means to do good, or make a difference in the world., even if they just affect one life. We all know how that can snowball and build to be passed on and on. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13. The other point is WE are responsible for our actions and the choices we make, and ultimately the choices that make us!
Post a Comment