CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

.::Pretend like it's the Weekend::.

"Can't you see that its just raining? Ain't no need to go outside... but Baby, you hardly even notice when I try to show you this song is meant to keep ya from doing what your supposed to, like waking up too early. Maybe we can sleep in. I'll make you banana pancakes; pretend like its the weekend now. We could pretend it all the time..."

~Jack Johnson, Banana Pancakes ~

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Remember

It’s hard for me to believe that seven years ago today I was a sophomore in high school seeing the nation as I knew it about to change forever. It’s almost more difficult to believe that as Michael enters his second class today, he will be in the exact same position I was when the planes crashed into the towers just after 9 AM. Same grade. Same age. Different times.

I was watching a TV show which relived the events of September 11, 2001 and couldn’t help but cry over the event itself and our stupidity today. I remember when we all came together not as Democrats or Republicans; blacks or whites; rich or poor; young or old; but we came together as Americans. Now we sit around our televisions arguing over Sarah Palin’s updo, where she gets her glasses from, and her daughter’s pregnancy. Are these the issues that will impact our future? How is it that nobody asks why Obama doesn’t stay home to “tend to the children?” How come nobody discusses Obama’s style? How come nobody dissects his family and family values? I’m appalled by the masses of people who make a decision for our next leader this fall and who seem to have forgotten the real issues in favor of the Jamie-Lynn Spears-like gossip. I, quite frankly, am happy that Palin supported her daughter in such a difficult decision. Regardless of my personal views on abortion, the important issue here is that Palin is pro-life and did NOT encourage her daughter to have an abortion, which would have been easy. She stuck to her values.


We say that women are equal, but are they? Would this same debate be centered around a man? I doubt it. Perhaps I’m so turned off by the issue because I come from a family of strong, intelligent women and get pissed off when women are still looked at in these ridiculous gender roles from the early 19th century. I cannot believe that she’s being criticized for being a real mother with a real family who has real issues. I think it’s refreshing to see a “not so perfect” American family and a woman who can admit that she’s not perfect, but is motivated and has a vision to make our country a better place. This has gone beyond politics and has become the cover of US Weekly or Star magazines. Hillary was also looked down upon for being “emotional” and unable to handle typical “boys club issues.” How are females around the country not enraged by this? Putting the politics aside, this is an issue of how we see women and it is discouraging us from taking positions of power and supporting our beliefs.

I love my country. I love that I can go to school, practice my religious beliefs, walk the streets without covering my face, and talk about how I feel. However, I fear we will not remember September 11. I fear we will forget what makes our nation great in exchange for the negatives. I fear women will always be viewed as unwelcome in political circles. I fear we will forget what’s at stake. Times are changing. The world is becoming a smaller place. Politics are becoming too “political.” It’s time we take back our country, not from a particular political party, but from an absent-minded and apathetic public. My degree is in Public Relations, which is a vital part of the media. I’m sad that the issues are so sensationalized by the media that we don’t even know what we’re debating anymore. The more I learn about the political system, the more disgusted and enraged I become. Will we ever have another Abraham Lincoln? I doubt it. I’m becoming more and more interested in the political arena with ambitions to change stereotypes and support the country I love so much. There are real issues to be tackled: international relations, energy supplies, environmental concerns, insurance companies, failing schools, and a public who doesn’t feel responsible for its actions. Where are the young people concerned for their future? Their children’s future?

On September 11, 2001, I learned nothing is guaranteed. I learned the world is not the place of my grandparents’ youths. I learned I cannot disagree with the way our country is run if I do nothing to work to change it. I learned the power of one. One person, no matter how small, can make a difference for great good or great evil. One person can make a difference in the life of a child, a school, the environment, a person in need, and maybe even a group of whales swimming around in Puget Sound. I want to go to law school not simply because I want the lifestyle or the career. I want to go to law school because I cannot simply sit back and wait for a difference. I want to be the change I wish to see in the world. I want look to a better future for myself, my family, my country, and my world. The law is about protecting what we see as important. I believe some things are worth protecting and fighting for. I’m ready to fight for what I believe in. I hope my peers and Mikie’s peers are ready to take responsibility for our future and fight for a better America. I hope whoever is elected this November feels the same.



God gave us good brains! It’s time to start using them!

McCain/Palin ‘08

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Yes today is a day to remember. We were talking at breakfast this morning about what happened 7 years ago. You a sophomore and Mikie just 8 years old. You are both growing up in a different time then your dad and I. I was able to ride my bike and be gone all day. I didn't carry a phone, I was just home before dark. I wish I could turn back time, but I can't. I am pleased that you are passionate for what you believe. Don't ever let someone take your passion away. I am encouraged that women will be more respected in your generation. We are off to a game tonight. A win would be nice. Love and miss you! xoxoxo

Colleen said...

mMegs , I think we all can remember 9-11 and be very sad by it.
I have been around a long time and I know that when Pearl Harbor was invaded by the Japanese, we did not attack China, because they looked like Japanese.I remember when Roosevelt said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" Now the politics of fear is in our face every day. During the McCarthy years, people were blacklisted and put on a list accusing them of being communist. Now we have a Terrorist list. I cannot say the world has changed because of 9-11. Pres Bush led us in what he called Operation Iraqi Liberation. It spells oil. The majority of the terrorists were Saudi Arabian hiding in Afganistan.
As for Sarah Palin ..... Where were the defenders of women when Bill Clinton had his fling.??? Many of the republican women were saying she should leave him and put her down for staying with him and sticking to her values. As far as I am concerned I was proud of her for sticking by her vows of for better or worse. I am a pro choice person and do not believe women should be put down for the choise to stay and work on the marriage and keep family together.
I Respect the fact that Sarah Palin has the choice to have as many children as she wants. No one is telling her to have an abortion. No women should tell another women they cannot have an abortion an I do not think it is the govrnments job to do it either!!! This is not CHINA! LUV Grandmaa

Jen said...

Megan, Megan Megan....... (shaking head}. I know on my own blog I said I would not get into politics, but- it seems we are there. I am sick of the hypocracy. I am sick of hearing John MCain say the whole lipstick on a pig line about Hillary's Health care but when Barack says it it is an attack on Sarah Palin- please. You can't have it both ways. They can't have the convention one day and wear a button that says vote for the hot chick and then scream sexism. ( I saw the buttons on republicans on TV). If they want to get all bent out of shape and say look at her as a person not a woman then that is how they need to present her. Also I am more that irate about the Georgian republican that called obama uppity.(westmoreland- look her up) Not to mention the other campaign buttons that ask if Obama is elected will it still be the white house. They are slinging mud and not talking about issues, I know I will vote my morals- I am sick of the fear and the hate and what we have had for eight years. You can't havee control for years and then run on change- please. As for the way it was in the wake of 9/11 the goodwill the US had on an international standing and my trust of our government was squandered many times over- on the deck of an aircraft carrier proclaiming mission accomplished, by a president who actaully was goofing around in the oval office looking for wmds under his desk, by the outsourcing of national security to hallibuton and blackwater, by rendintion, at gitmo and abu garib. The gross mismanagement of just about everything from Iraq to Afganistan, from Oil to mortgages, from education to healthcare, from Hurricane Katrina to Darfur. The one thing they say they got right was the surge, but the bottom lne is we should not have been there to begin with. Bush said he was going to bring honor and itegrity back to the white house- are you kidding me? Maybe the guy should read a little more than My Pet Goat. They say it is christain, but nothing I have read that Christ said or did involved torture or a preemtive strike- in fact it was the exact opposite. Christ was one heck of a community organizer.

I am done with politics and won't have it on my blog. I disagree with you and know we each have our views. I know mine will not change and do not want to alienate anyone- especiall family members that I love dearly. I know politics and have been involved for too many years, I have marched in protests and have been a member of various organizations I know I will not compromise who I am. I do not expect anyone else to either. In 1988 I registered to vote as a democrat. This means I have been a registered democrat for longer than mom has- I also got my ACLU card and my amnesty membership card about the same time. I have been in greenpeace and habitat for humanity, I have campaigned and researched- I have taken polisci, sociology and been on a college debate team. I remember the Reagan years and the Clinton years- I have seen the politics of fear and hope and know in my heart that I will always chose hope over fear and inspiration over intimidation.
Now I will step off my soapbox and blog about other things- Joelle, soccer, Mitch, and things we have in common.

Jen said...

IF YOU RUN I THINK I WOULD VOTE FOR YOU!! I Just read your comment on my blog after making my comment on yours. Yes we disagree but not on everything. You're in a blue state babe so I am sure you have been hearing things from a whole new view.

.::Me & My Fiance::.

.::Me & My Fiance::.
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for.

Let the Countdown Begin!