Below: Laffit Pincay Jr. and me at the Santa Anita Derby. I'm taller OMG! (We're actually the same height, but I was wearing heels. Jason thinks I should be a jockey cause they can make millions. I shot that idea down because I don't have a death wish. lol)
Ok, so I suppose it's been some time since I shared pics and news... so here is a bit of a montage about what I've been up to:
First of all, I went to a hockey game with Jason on March 27. We went to cheer on the Anaheim
Ducks against the Tulsa Oilers. This was my first professional hockey game and unfortunately, despite my cheering, the Ducks lost 5-3. However, it was still a thriller thanks to all the fighting. I was actually surprised how many fights there were. Practically the entire game was a power play for one team or the other. I couldn't help but think of poor John Mike... I hope he doesn't get into fights. I totally had a mom moment and thought about them all losing their teeth. Tell John Mike not to fight on ice cause he could lose his teeth and girls (and his aunt) don't like that. lol.
We also attended the 2009 Santa Anita Derby on April 4 together. This was Jason's first big race and I got us tickets just beyond the finish line. He seemed to enjoy our time there, but I was definitely in heaven. I got to meet Laffit Pincay who is a Hall of Fame Jockey who rode
Sham against Secretariat (my favorite racehorse) in the 1973 Triple Crown. Unfortunately for Sham, he ran against a Superhorse and lost all three races. It was too bad because I sincerely believe Sham would have won the triple crown any other year. Sham and Secretariat's mothers are related and were even bred the same week at the same barn. These horses seemed destined to be rivals, and in this case, the west coast underdog couldn't defeat the blue-blood champion. Penny Chenery, Secretariat's owner, even admits to rooting for Sham occasionally in the races because she knew what an amazing horse he was. Pincay was there to sign his biography which was just released. However, he would sign other racing paraphernalia as well. I brought my book "Sham: in the Shadow of a Superhorse" as well as a photo of Sham and Secretariat leaping out of the starting
gate at the infamous Belmont Stakes for him to sign. (You can watch this incredible race at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4f6wiQJh4) Pincay seemed a bit surprised that I wanted him to sign something on Sham. I told him that he had a triple crown winner any other year and his eyes lit up immediately. He said, "You know your racing huh? Yah Sham was a good horse. A champion. He just ran the wrong year. In the Belmont, his trainer told me to keep up with the big red guy (Secretariat) and I knew it was a mistake. I looked over at that horses eyes when we were running together and I knew Sham had no chance. Secretariat was a freak of nature, you know?" Pincay was right. Secretariat was a freak of nature. Upon necropsy (an animal autopsy), it was found that Secretariat had the largest heart of any equine examined on the record. The vet who did the necropsy said, "We were all shocked. I've seen and done thousands of autopsies on horses, and nothing I'd ever seen compared to it. The heart of the
average horse weighs about nine pounds. This was almost twice the average size, and a third larger than any equine heart I'd ever seen. And it wasn't pathologically enlarged. All the chambers and the valves were normal. It was just larger. I think it told us why he was able to do what he did." A few years later, this same vet did a necropsy on Sham and found something equally astonishing, and a bit ironic. Sham had the second largest heart he'd ever seen, second to Secretariat. Racing legend says that Sham lost the 1973 Belmont due to a broken heart... a heart that couldn't match that of Secretariat. Although Secretariat is my favorite, Sham is my second. Even though Sham broke racing records and gave Secretariat the best competition, he isn't even listed as one of the 100 greatest racehorses. Sad. It's funny how we only remember winners. Sham never raced again after he lost to Secretariat that day in June. He suffered a
fractured ankle bone from trying his hardest to beat the best. Sometimes our best isn't enough, but what counts is that we gave our best. I love Sham for that. He has been all but forgotten in racing history, but I choose to remember and Pincay sure does too.
gate at the infamous Belmont Stakes for him to sign. (You can watch this incredible race at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4f6wiQJh4) Pincay seemed a bit surprised that I wanted him to sign something on Sham. I told him that he had a triple crown winner any other year and his eyes lit up immediately. He said, "You know your racing huh? Yah Sham was a good horse. A champion. He just ran the wrong year. In the Belmont, his trainer told me to keep up with the big red guy (Secretariat) and I knew it was a mistake. I looked over at that horses eyes when we were running together and I knew Sham had no chance. Secretariat was a freak of nature, you know?" Pincay was right. Secretariat was a freak of nature. Upon necropsy (an animal autopsy), it was found that Secretariat had the largest heart of any equine examined on the record. The vet who did the necropsy said, "We were all shocked. I've seen and done thousands of autopsies on horses, and nothing I'd ever seen compared to it. The heart of the
average horse weighs about nine pounds. This was almost twice the average size, and a third larger than any equine heart I'd ever seen. And it wasn't pathologically enlarged. All the chambers and the valves were normal. It was just larger. I think it told us why he was able to do what he did." A few years later, this same vet did a necropsy on Sham and found something equally astonishing, and a bit ironic. Sham had the second largest heart he'd ever seen, second to Secretariat. Racing legend says that Sham lost the 1973 Belmont due to a broken heart... a heart that couldn't match that of Secretariat. Although Secretariat is my favorite, Sham is my second. Even though Sham broke racing records and gave Secretariat the best competition, he isn't even listed as one of the 100 greatest racehorses. Sad. It's funny how we only remember winners. Sham never raced again after he lost to Secretariat that day in June. He suffered a The Santa Anita Derby itself wasn't as exciting as we'd hoped. The heavy favorite, The Pamplemousse, scratched as did two other horses. This cut the field to seven and limited the payoff at the betting booths. Jason and I bet on Pioneer of the Nile, Chocolate Candy, and Mr. Hot Stuff in a boxed trifecta and won! I even picked the number four horse, Take the Points. Unfortunately I didn't bet a superfecta, b
ecause if I had, I would have won. The payoff was pretty lame for winning the trifecta, but it's fun to just have bragging rights. Although Pioneer of the Nile won, his victory wasn't very impressive. It looks like Quality Road and I Want Revenge will be the favorites for the Kentucky Derby this year. I like Quality Road. His victory over Dunkirk in the Florida Derby was impressive and I'd like to see him win. It will be the first time his trainer will go to the Derby. Jason had a good time and enjoyed bragging to his friends about the trifecta. He says he'd like to go to Del Mar, a racetrack near San Diego a few times this summer.
As you all know, shortly after the race I announced that I would be attending Pepperdine this fall. It was a very difficult decision for me between Loyola and Pepperdine. I investigated many
factors when making my decision. Pepperdine is actually ranked higher than Loyola and continues to climb the rankings each year. Loyola does have more firms that interview there, but they also have a much larger student body. Ultimately, the top 10% gets big firm jobs from both schools. The location is great at Pepperdine and I'm excited to participate on one of their humanitarian trips to Thailand, Uganda, China, India, or Israel. They are all school-led and safe. I can't wait to begin classes this fall and will be living on campus, right across the street from the school. In the end, my decision came down to a feeling. Pepperdine felt right.
Since then I've heard from both UCLA and UCI and I didn't get in to either, making Pepperdine my final choice. I'm really not upse
t by this. I wasn't impressed with UCLA's treatment and UCI is a bit of a risk, although it would've been nice to get school for free. Jason's mom is going to set me up with a meeting at Wells Fargo to go over loans and what is the best option for me. It'll be nice to have her help since my parents aren't here to meet with me. I haven't taken out a student loan before, so it will be nice to have help deciding the best options. (I still can't believe how expensive law school is.)
Jason has been pretty busy looking for a house. He wants to live in Anaheim Hills, which is actually very close to his work, but still in Orange County. He wants to stay in Orange because the property value holds despite recessions and it would be a more sound investment. He hopes to be in a house in the next few months. The neighborhood he's
looking in is awesome and it's been fun to go gawk at houses with him. lol.
I'm still applying to local jobs. The temp service hasn't worked out as expected. Instead, I've been learning how to cook. Last night I made burritos with spicy chilly, fresh bell peppers, caramelized onions, diced potatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese, and lettuce. They turned out to be a hit so I was pretty pleased with my accomplishment. Tonight I'm making stir fry with steak so we'll see how that goes. I need to get in touch with grandma for recipe ideas.
Thanks again for all your support through the tough law decision process. I'm really looking forward to school in the fall. I'm also looking forward to visiting Michigan from June 22 - July 13. Jason will also be coming for a week in July. So there's lots going on and I'm happy to be moving forward.
"Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart."




3 comments:
Nice to see the pictures. Anxious for your visit and to meet Jason. You'll be welcome to show us your cooking skills! It snowed this morning! The track meet was canceled but, Mikie had to run still after school. He is at soccer practice now. He has a soccer game in Canton tomorrow, so it will be a long day.
Miss you! Glad you are staying busy. love ya,
Wow Megs sound like you are keeping busy! So you're cooking? That is cool, it can be kinda fun as long as you look at it that way and not as a chore. Mom's recipes rock.
Hi,
Sounds like you are having fun! Cooking huh? I have always said if one can read , one can cook. There are lots of recipes on line and taste of home is a great source. I will e-mail you a few of mine. stay busy and good luck in school in the fall.
Post a Comment