CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

.::Pretend like it's the Weekend::.

"Can't you see that its just raining? Ain't no need to go outside... but Baby, you hardly even notice when I try to show you this song is meant to keep ya from doing what your supposed to, like waking up too early. Maybe we can sleep in. I'll make you banana pancakes; pretend like its the weekend now. We could pretend it all the time..."

~Jack Johnson, Banana Pancakes ~

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Something Worth Fighting For

Below: A Southern Resident Orca. According to the Center for Whale Research, she is a member of J Pod, the first group of orcas I saw in the wild. "Too many times we stand aside and let the waters slip away, till what we put off till tomorrow has now become today. So don't you sit upon the shoreline and say you're satisfied. Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tides."


I guess it's pretty fair to say that I'm addicted to this blog and I hope my posts are enjoyable. It's amazing the catharsis that takes place by writing your thoughts down. It's nice to write your feelings down and then let them go... something I'm learning to do more and more everyday.

I decided to post a little more about my job. People get quite curious when I explain what I will be doing and tend to ask a lot of questions. I decided that I will clear up those questions and give more details now. I was hired by San Juan Safaris http://www.sanjuansafaris.com/ beginning of February as a Naturalist/First Mate on their whale watching tours. In case you are unfamiliar with orca whales, they were made famous through parks like Sea World and the Free Willy movies. I happen to dislike their common name of Killer Whale, being a PR major has taught me how important our words are and the images they communicate. They received the name "Killer Whale" from Spanish whalers who witnessed transient orcas feeding on baleen whales. The actual translation was "Whale Killers," but we confused that a while ago. Now, this doesn't make them cuddly little puppies by any means. To answer a common question, NO. I will not be swimming with, training, or feeding the whales. I am simply going to be giving information and answering questions about the whales and their environment during a guided trip to watch them in their natural habitat. I may go on a few kayak trips for fun to get more up close and personal though. No, orcas don't eat people. As far as I know, the only attacks orcas have made on people have been when they are stressed in captivity. People have been kayaking with these whales for years and according to my research, nobody has been eaten to date. LOL.


Another common question I get is, "How big are these whales?" They range from 16-26 ft long (males being larger than females) and weigh in between 5 - 8 tonnes. They are one of the fastest marine predators and can reach speeds of up to 35 mph, which is almost as fast as a galloping horse. While orcas have one of the widest habitat ranges of any marine creature, the whales I will be working with are special in that their migration habits are much more predictable. These whales have lived in their family groups, called pods, near San Juan Island for centuries and this predictability was preyed upon by marine parks in the 60s, 70s, and even into the early 80s. This greatly disrupted the family units of these whales, which are quite close. In fact, these whales never leave their mothers... something my mom could really appreciate. haha. Since live captures have been prohibited, their population has increased, but their plight has gained national attention. They recently were put on the Endangered Species list and the government, with the support and cooperation of companies like San Juan Safaris, is now working to protect their major food source: salmon. Orcas display some of the highest toxin levels recorded, which poses a threat to their continued survival. My job will be to teach people about the whales and the problems they face in hopes of fostering a sense of environmental concern, not only for the orcas of Puget Sound, but for the creatures in our guests' own back yards. This really reinforces my desire to go law school. The law is all about protecting things like freedom of speech, public safety, the right to vote, and even a small group of whales in Puget Sound. Robert Redford stated it quite nicely when he said, "I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

I'm very excited for the opportunity to learn more about the whales I have loved since I was a kid. This will be a great experience, and although I will miss home, I'm really hoping to have it become a bit of a soul searching time for me. I will be posting videos and pictures from my experiences on the island on this blog... so stay in touch!

I recently found housing on the island and am looking forward to living with some cool roomies. I'm also pleased to find that there are quite a few horses on the island, so when I start to get barn withdrawals, I'll be able to ride... for a small fee of course. Please let me know if you have questions about my job. I would love for family and friends to come visit me. If you would like to go on a whale watch, let me know because I might be able to get you a discount! =)


"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." ~ Native American Proverb

No comments:

.::Me & My Fiance::.

.::Me & My Fiance::.
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for.

Let the Countdown Begin!