CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

.::Pretend like it's the Weekend::.

"Can't you see that its just raining? Ain't no need to go outside... but Baby, you hardly even notice when I try to show you this song is meant to keep ya from doing what your supposed to, like waking up too early. Maybe we can sleep in. I'll make you banana pancakes; pretend like its the weekend now. We could pretend it all the time..."

~Jack Johnson, Banana Pancakes ~

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Family Ties

The road to success is not straight. There is a curve called Failure, a loop called Confusion, speed bumps called Friends, red lights called Enemies, caution lights called Family. You will have flats called Jobs. But, if you have a spare called Determination, an engine called Perseverance, insurance called Faith, and a driver called JESUS... you will make it to a place called Success.

Above: Our fam; Grandma & Grandpa Young; my dad's brother, Eric; his wife, Tammy; and our cousins Aubrey and Schuyler.


This weekend was my last weekend to visit friends and see my dad's side of the family before I leave. It's weird to have only nine days left in Michigan. I'm ready to leave the poor weather, poor economy, and poor job situation but the more I think about everything I hate in Michigan, the more I realize all the people here that I love.
I went to Grand Valley this weekend to have my going away party at one of my favorite bars called McFadden's in downtown Grand Rapids. Although there were some unfortunate circumstances on the way to the party (namely friends who didn't hold up their end of the deal), I finally made it and was able to hang out with the people who have been such a big part of my life these past four years. I was able to hang out with Chelsea, my roomie from this past semester, and she hopes to visit me in the islands. I also got to spend time with the guys and friends from class. I was really able to consider all my accomplishments at Grand Valley both academically and relationally while I sat on the bar stool reminiscing about old times. I laughed with my friends, cried with them, shared in their victories and defeats, went on road trips with them, stayed up late at night talking with them, and survived to tell the story of it. haha. I agree with Agnes DeMille when she said, "I learned three important things in college - to use a library, to memorize quickly and visually, and how to drop asleep at any time given a horizontal surface and fifteen minutes." Some valuable lessons. I also learned that friends are not a guarantee. Friendship, much like life, is a process. You cannot think that because you have it means it will always be there. You have to continue to work at your relationships in order to maintain their health. Not all friendships last; some are meant for a small place in time, while a select few have an impact on your life forever. I also learned that friendship with yourself can be even more important than friendship with others, because without self acceptance it's difficult to be a true friend. I will miss my friends when I move and hopefully I will make more great friends out there to carry with me for the rest of my life. I think there's some sort of We Sing in Sillyville song that talks about this. It goes something like, "Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver, the other gold." People never know how special some friends are until they leave. But maybe sometimes it's important to leave, so they are given that chance to see how special those people really are.

When I came home today we drove to Turkeyville to see my dad's family. It was nice to get together and talk about things ranging from politics, to my new job, to questions about how I will survive California. hahaha. I think people in Michigan might fear California because it's so different. However, this is exactly what I'm excited about. I think it's impossible to really know who you are until you thrust yourself into many diverse situations and see which ones suit you best. I realize the concerns could be semi-legit and I will take all the advice with me, although I will not be purchasing a hand gun any time soon. My aunt does not live in Compton by any means. LOL. I know I won't lose sight of who I am, but sometimes it's a good thing to reinvent yourself. The way I see it, if you're not changing then you're not growing, and if you're not growing then you're dead.

I've said over and over how much I will miss the people I love back here. I'm excited to start this new season of my life and I won't forget to stay in touch with family and friends. Seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life, and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart and if you're lucky, just a plane ride away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL@aunt living in Compton! That was great. you'll have a blast. Your mom will be lost but you will have a blast and your mom can visit.

.::Me & My Fiance::.

.::Me & My Fiance::.
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for.

Let the Countdown Begin!