I miss Lancie kisses...
Yesterday was pretty sparse on the water, although I think the guests still had a good time. I take it upon myself to be the entertainment when the whales show up. We also had people on our boat who were filming a documentary from France. I’d really been looking forward to their visit because I was under the impression they would be interviewing me about the whales, pollution, and global warming. I really wanted to share my knowledge of the whales on a global stage and hopefully hope to ignite international interest in them. However, I quickly learned the cold truth about documentaries…
Science is a great avenue to learn about the world, but it is flawed in that it can be found in the
name of conclusions that were previously drawn. In other words, if you’re looking for a reason for your theories, there is a science to “prove” them. Unfortunately, the French filmmakers were looking for a link between global warming and its adverse affect on the whales. This link cannot be scientifically proven. In fact, there isn’t hard science to support this. I do believe global warming is a threat, but it does not currently threaten the whales. The water temperature here is 47ยบ F year round. There is little fluctuation in water temperature, which is perfect for salmon spawning. If the temperature increases in the future, it will pose a threat to the salmon and in turn, to the whales. However, global warming doesn’t kill whales; pollution does. These people wanted me to say global warming is killing the whales when it is not and I refused to say so. I’m sure they will find someone to say it is killing the whales, which really weakens the power of documentaries in my mind. People often mislead people by claiming “science” proved their theory and therefore there is no room for a counter argument, when there is another “science” that can prove theirs wrong. This makes me question how many documentaries out there are made under similar agendas. I think the general public thinks documentaries are by nature neutral and the facts are uncovered throughout the filming process. However, many times they have a story line prior to shooting and look for “facts” to prove their conclusion. It’s really unfortunate, but a valuable lesson nonetheless. The more I’m around science, the more I realize how it is constantly changing and a fact today is a fiction tomorrow. There are few laws in science and all too many theories to be proven. The experience was a let down because I was really excited to be a part of their film, and now I’m not so thrilled. My coworkers feel the same and it’s a shame ther
e are so many people out there trying to shift the facts. It makes you wonder what is true anymore.
On a brighter note, I completed two more paintings called Shoot for the Stars and Family Ties. Shoot for the Stars is of Polaris, J-28, popping up out of the moonlight towards the starry night sky. Family Ties is of the group of whales, J-Pod, traveling together. I am giving Family Ties to the local post office. They requested a painting when I sent the others out and I decided this would look nice in their office. I think the plan is to put it up on the wall near the register lines. Hopefully they put something up with my name on it so all my future fans can see. LOL. I think my most recent paintings have turned out the best, which is likely due to practice. I’m beginning to hate the first painting I did of the whale and the kelp. The inexperience truly shows and I don’t like it anymore. I guess that’s what happens when you’re a perfectionist. If anyone would like that painting please let me know because I’ll probably throw it out soon. It really doesn’t fit with the other paintings and it makes me mad every time I see it. Hahaha. I know it’s ridiculous, but I really can’t help it. So tell me if you’re interested or that one will be one its way to the dump. I’m
going to have to slow down my painting production because the drug store is all out of small canvas. I bought them out of stock. Hahaha. The better I get though, the more excited I am to paint another one. I’m still keeping my eyes out for J-Pod’s return, but so far no luck. Keep your fingers crossed, I really am beginning to need a sighting. I can only entertain so many people before I run out of gas… or hot air. Thanks again everyone for your interest and I’m glad you all enjoyed the paintings. (The picture above is of a juvenile whale breaching in front of one of our boats called the Kittiwake. I'm anxiously awaiting for this to happen to me!)
Science is a great avenue to learn about the world, but it is flawed in that it can be found in the
On a brighter note, I completed two more paintings called Shoot for the Stars and Family Ties. Shoot for the Stars is of Polaris, J-28, popping up out of the moonlight towards the starry night sky. Family Ties is of the group of whales, J-Pod, traveling together. I am giving Family Ties to the local post office. They requested a painting when I sent the others out and I decided this would look nice in their office. I think the plan is to put it up on the wall near the register lines. Hopefully they put something up with my name on it so all my future fans can see. LOL. I think my most recent paintings have turned out the best, which is likely due to practice. I’m beginning to hate the first painting I did of the whale and the kelp. The inexperience truly shows and I don’t like it anymore. I guess that’s what happens when you’re a perfectionist. If anyone would like that painting please let me know because I’ll probably throw it out soon. It really doesn’t fit with the other paintings and it makes me mad every time I see it. Hahaha. I know it’s ridiculous, but I really can’t help it. So tell me if you’re interested or that one will be one its way to the dump. I’m
going to have to slow down my painting production because the drug store is all out of small canvas. I bought them out of stock. Hahaha. The better I get though, the more excited I am to paint another one. I’m still keeping my eyes out for J-Pod’s return, but so far no luck. Keep your fingers crossed, I really am beginning to need a sighting. I can only entertain so many people before I run out of gas… or hot air. Thanks again everyone for your interest and I’m glad you all enjoyed the paintings. (The picture above is of a juvenile whale breaching in front of one of our boats called the Kittiwake. I'm anxiously awaiting for this to happen to me!)



2 comments:
Sad that people slant the truth for their own agenda. Good lessoned learned. I'm glad you spoke the truth, and didn't compromise yourself! Hope you see whales soon. love ya, (Lance has been pretty smelly lately, hard to let him get close enough for kisses!) Getting ready to watch the Derby. Hard to believe it has been a year since we were there!
LMAO! That painting you did of the whale with the kelp is Joelle's favorite one of yours. You better not throw it away. She looked at all of them on your blog and that one is her favorite!
Post a Comment